Becoming a Primary or Secondary School Teacher
In order to teach at a primary or secondary school in Trinidad and Tobago, a person must first obtain a Teacher's Registration Number. Once registered, the person can then apply for employment as a primary or secondary-level teacher at any government or private school. The qualification (e.g., Certificate, Diploma, Associates Degree, Bachelor's, or Master's,) depends on the level of entry at which the teacher begins
Who is eligible to obtain a Teacher's Registration Number?
A person interested in obtaining a Teacher's Registration Number must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of five O'Level subjects at CXC (General Proficiency) grades I, II or III inclusive of English Language, Mathematics and one subject from the Natural Sciences Group;
- Have a minimum of five O'Level subjects at GCE grades A, B, or C inclusive of English Language, Mathematics and one subject from the Natural Sciences Group; or
- Have a qualification from an accredited university or higher education institution.
Who is eligible to obtain a Teacher’s Registration Number?
A person interested in applying for employment as a Teacher should complete an "Application for Employment" form, which can be downloaded from the Ministry of Education's website using the link below. The form can also be obtained from the Ministry's Head Office on Alexandra Street or any of the seven district offices and from the Tobago House of Assembly office.
The original and two copies of each of the following documents should be submitted along with the application form:
- Valid proof of identification in the form of a National Identification Card, Driver's Permit, Trinidad and Tobago Passport, or Foreign Passport;
- Birth Certificate with affidavit (if necessary);
- Teacher's Registration Certificate;
- Two testimonials written within the last 6 months that are not from teachers in the service of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Marriage Certificate, if applicant is a married woman; and
- Certificates attesting to person's academic and professional qualifications. In cases where statements from the Examination Section of the Ministry of Education are to be used in lieu of certificates/diplomas, the original statements are required.
The application form must be completed in duplicate, in accordance with the included instructions. Both copies of the form should be returned, with all required documentation, to the Ministry of Education in person so that originals can be returned. Primary school applicants should take their applications to the Primary Section of the Personnel Department; Secondary-level applicants should take their applications to the Secondary Section.
After an application is submitted, the applicant will be assessed by the Curriculum Development Division of the Ministry of Education, must pass an interview conducted by the Teaching Service Commission and have his or her name placed on the Order of Merit List at the Ministry of Education.
Where can I find more information?
More information about can be obtained from the Ministry of Education's Head Office.
18 Abercromby Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except public holidays
Tel: (868) 622 1964
Tel: (868) 622 6842
Tel: (868) 622 3610 or 628-8203